Click on the "Follow" link to keep up with this blog!

Monday, April 26, 2010

Close calls

(Week 17, day 6)
  A couple of days ago Tanisha woke up in what I could tell was a bad mood. She just didn't feel right, she wasn't happy, and it was obvious she was on edge. I want to give her credit. I want to say that she didn't want to snap on me or Staci because it would make her feel bad. I want to say she was considering us so she tried to just sort through her feelings without saying much. I want to say all that. The truth is, I don't believe it. I think she was just holding her tongue so that morning didn't end up as another blog post. Either way I had a peaceful morning. (Whew!)

  I started a new job today. I decided a little over a month ago it was time to make more money. I had been holding out at my old job for a while to see if, despite what everyone was saying, I could create some movement for myself by being the best at what I did. I came close, but in the end there wasn't much room for me. As a matter of fact the company was mostly downsizing so any spots that came up were going to people who had many years with the company and would otherwise be laid off. So I decided it was time for a change. Now I'm at a growing company that has a lot of room to advance. More importantly I'm getting paid a lot more money. Once we found out we were having a baby my wife and I made a firm decision we had to get a house. We were already looking, but this just solidified now was the time. So to pay for that new house, and of course new baby, I gave myself a promotion. The catch with this is, however, my wife works there also. I know what you're saying. "You're going to work with your wife? You do remember she threw cold water on you in the bed, don't you?" Well in response to that I have to say, "Can't you ever let her live that down? No? Me neither."

  I'm hurt that I only got 3 votes on this last poll. That tells me my readers want less. And here I was thinking you couldn't get enough of me. Well I guess I finally have to admit, the world doesn't actually revolve around me. But this blog does, so I still got that. Anyway back to the pregnancy. I talked before about our paranoia. Well my wife has a new obsession: conception date. As I mentioned after our last ultrasound, Baby Cohen is in the 76th percentile for size at this stage. It shows, and Tanisha is concerned about that. When she tells people she's 4 months, they always say, "Four months?!" in disbelief. STOP SAYING THAT PEOPLE, YOU'RE GIVING HER A COMPLEX!
  So as a result of that she thinks the doctors may be wrong about when the conception was. Never mind we've gone through the calculations from her last cycle in December and know that it would be virtually impossible to be anything more that a week's difference. She catches me off guard with it each time. She'll start out the conversation as if it's going to be this new and interesting topic. "So I've been thinking," she'll say. And then I'll devote my entire attention to her, rapt with anticipation about what's been on her mind. Then she will break out with something like, "What if they're wrong about how old the baby is" or, "My last cycle in December was the 22nd, right?" Yes, just like it was the last 15 times we talked about it sweetheart. I don't get annoyed, I'm just wondering when she's really going to settle into the fact that her child is large. But I really try to be understanding because the root of all this is she thinks she's going to end up giving birth to a 10-pound baby. She really, really doesn't want to have a 10-pound baby. I can't say I blame her. Gigantor is funny now, but it won't be so much in week 39.

3 comments:

  1. you know me toooo well lol. and I told you Gigantor the Skull Baby was mean!!! LOL..

    Wife

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL This is wayyyy to funny! Shanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes baby I do know you, and the people have spoken. No more Gigantor or Skull babies.

    ReplyDelete