Click on the "Follow" link to keep up with this blog!

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Baby Cohen

(Week 10 day 4)
  I want to start this one out by telling a story about my daughter. For the record, I think my daughter is going to be the best big sister since Rachel Cohen beat up Theloneus Hobdy because he was picking on me. Staci is a very intelligent, enthusiastic and creative girl. She is very excited about having a baby brother/sister to take care of and play with. Being 9, she is naturally curious about how things work, and since the subject of the day is mommy's belly she is asking a lot of questions about Baby Cohen. Recently she asked, "Mommy, can the baby see things through your eyes?" I think that was the greatest baby question EVER.
  So this week I'm dealing with really getting used to the reality of my wife being pregnant. Not the idea of a baby, or the warm fuzzy I get when I think that she's got a bun in the oven, but the actual reality that she is now more delicate, her body is going through things I can not POSSIBLY imagine, and after all this, I'm going to have an extra person to take care of. This is not something I take lightly, but it's slowly sinking in that this is real. Especially when my wife looks at me with pain or fear in her eyes because she's not feeling well. I just want time to enjoy this experience but in this trimester I have to enjoy taking care of my wife as best I can.
  I make it a point to talk to my child every day. I know people say they can't hear or understand yet, but since in week 10 the baby is officially a "fetus" I know Baby Cohen has ears so to me this means I am heard. Who knew fetus was a separate designation? I always figured it was a fetus the whole time but I'm learning that of the many subjects I do know about, pregnancy is certainly not one of them. I try to read the Bible as much as possible. I also try to tell Baby Cohen to take it easy on mommy, but so far the stubborn factor my wife and daughter have is carrying over to our newest addition. Hopefully they will grow out of that. Since right now our child will double their size in the next few weeks I think it's entirely possible. When I am able to talk to my child, it is this wonderful feeling. I usually forget my wife is right there and can hear me, I am so focused on her belly and trying to imagine what's going on in there. It's a calming effect on me, if not the baby.
  I'm really over obsessing what sex my child may be, although I find myself always saying "he". I know we'll find out soon enough, I just am very happy to go through each week, paying attention as much as I can to what's going on. This week has been harder because Tanisha has had more back and stomach pain than before. I'm hoping this is a progression from the nausea to this to nothing in the next week or two. We're only a week and a half from the second trimester!

No comments:

Post a Comment