Click on the "Follow" link to keep up with this blog!

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Cloud 9 made out of silver

(Retro blog from week 7, days 4-7)
  For the next few days after our trip to the hospital, I could not keep a smile off of my face even when I tried. I think I told all 280 people who work in my department, or at least the 150 people I told let the remaining 130 people know. That's in addition to the 50 or more people who watched The Greatest Reveal Ever video on Facebook. Needless to say I got a lot of attention. I don't know if it was my excitement and enthusiasm, but everyone I talked to seemed excited. Or maybe I was just projecting my excitement onto other people. Either way I floated around for this entire week. Unfortunately while I was floating, my wife was grounded. She was so sick, and I couldn't do a thing about it. Well except get her anti-nausea medicine, make sandwiches, get ice water, hold her hair while she vomited, make 5 trips to CVS a day...
  I was mostly stuck this week between elation and disbelief. You know how sometimes something is happening in your life and it's so monumental that you feel like the entire world should just stop and acknowledge it? No? Ok maybe it's just me, but that's how I felt at times this week. Like I wanted everybody to know what was happening, to smile with me and to feel my joy. Realistically I just settled for calling everyone and posting it on Facebook, but that made me feel good too. Then every now and then the disbelief would kick in. I already mentioned we were not expecting this at all, so when I got a moment to really let the reality sink it, I was blown away. I don't even think in these blogs I can truly describe how I feel about this. I didn't realize I would feel this way. I didn't think it would be this big for me. I thank God for giving me what I really wanted and didn't even know it. Thank you God.
    This week was also monumental because I made my first trip to an OBGYN. First I want to tell you that our doctor is awesome (thank you Rachie!!!) Tanisha and I are so much more relaxed knowing we have her. SO we go to our first doctor's visit for our baby and I have to bring the camera (footage to come). The office was very nice, everybody there who we interacted with was kind. We talked to somebody first (I forget her title) and discussed Tanisha and her family's medical history, genetic disorders, medicine, diet and exercise. It was an interesting and paranoia-inducing conversation. They try to sell you these genetic disorder test without trying to sell you, if you know what I mean. Tanisha was more concerned about it that I was on the surface, but I'll admit I had some fear also. While the possibility is small, so were the chances of having a child with PFFD and even though we don't really want to talk about it, we're both thinking about it. That decision hasn't been made yet and we will be talking to a geneticist sometime soon. I have confidence we will have a healthy child, but you can't help having a little doubt creep in. Joy an worry. That about sums up pre-parenthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment