Click on the "Follow" link to keep up with this blog!

Thursday, March 4, 2010

The miracle is real

(Retro blog from week 7, day 3)
  The day after we find out Tanisha is pregnant (she found out the morning and they set me up for the reveal that same night) she gets really sick. She's got bad nausea, light-headed, headache, stomach cramps and a couple other symptoms that all point to pregnancy but seemed like it was to the extreme. Usually we're averse to emergency room trips (yeah right) but this time we thought we could make an exception. Getting into a room wasn't hard because she was preggers, but once we got there we experienced a lot of waiting. Well this isn't usually a problem because Tanisha can sleep and I can watch TV. BUT since she had a headache I had to keep the TV low, and since she was nauseous she couldn't get comfortable enough to sleep, and since the nurses kept coming in juuuust enough to keep her from falling into a real sleep it was rough going. Then the worst part of all: finding a vein. I have been with Tanisha to the hospital more times than I'd like for different conditions in different hospitals in different places, but the one consistent thing in all of them is that the nurses can NEVER find Tanisha's vein for an IV on the first try. Never.
  8 pokes later (no really, 8) and my wife is properly medicated and hydrated. Now I'm trying to describe all of this as it happened and as I was feeling at the time. I am NOT complaining about the experience. This was one of the greatest hospital visits I've had so far and I'll tell you why. Half way through our visit the ultrasound technician came in. We navigated our way around the hospital (not the best of hospital bed drivers, this one) and got to the ultrasound room. She checked to make sure everything was ok and Tanisha's uterus is healthy. THEN, as I'm watching the screen, I see a small mass curled up in the corner of the womb. Such a tiny, delicate looking thing I could hardly believe my eyes. Right there. Wow. It's my baby. There's my baby, alive and real. The tech shows us the heartbeat and I melt. My wife cried. I didn't but that's probably only because I was in complete awe. It was so small. It was so very small. Just a tiny dot on the screen pumping a mile a minute (146 bpm to be exact). It was at that point that I fell in love with my child. I was at that moment exhilarated, nervous, joyful and totally committed to the life forming in my wife's stomach.
  This was also the day we found out her due date and how far along she was. 7 weeks, 3 days. Due date Sept. 29, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment