Click on the "Follow" link to keep up with this blog!

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Hospital life

(Week 22, Day 2)
  For those of you who have been reading this blog for a while, do you remember when I kept talking about Tanisha's obsession with the due date? I teased her about it, wrote about it several times and pretended like it annoyed me. I even said it wasn't really that important. Boy am I eating my words now. It's so important. Every single day matters. For now we're just relaxing in the hospital. Relaxing is the key for Tanisha. She must relax, stay in bed as much as possible and relax some more. Having contractions could be bad news so the more relaxed she is the better. Did I mention she needs to relax?
  I want to say that I love this hospital, the doctors and every single nurse who has set foot in this room. They are doing everything they know to keep my wife comfortable and, you guessed it, relaxed. It's amazing though how much they know, and how much they don't know. There is so much up in the air right now and as encouraging and informative as everyone has tried to be, it really all boils down to, "We don't know what's going to happen, when it will happen or even why it's happening." This is not because they're not the best at what they do because they are. It just goes to the fact that the human body is such an amazingly complex thing. It may be crazy but them not knowing actually encourages me. It helps remind me that ultimately my faith in Aiden coming into this world and surviving lies in God. I try to picture him. I picture him in the room where the nurses take care of the babies when parents want sleep. I picture holding him. I picture him running around our house. I can see it. It makes me happy and keeps me going every day.
  So here's my life now. I live in a hospital. I sleep on a chair or the most floppy air mattress in history. I wake up when nurses come in, when Tanisha is in pain, when my back is screaming at me, when Tanisha's back is screaming at me, and when I get cold which is often because Tanisha likes sleeping in a freezer. We order the maximum (two entrees per meal) and my wife and I split them. I make sure she's full because Aiden has to eat too. I answer 100 texts and phone calls a day because apparently everybody in the world loves my wife. I'm going to start going back to work tomorrow which will kill me because when left for an hour today my heart was aching. But living in a hospital is more expensive than an apartment so I still need money for the bills, insurances don't pay for everything. I don't watch much TV at all but I watch my wife a LOT. I pray and pray and pray. One thing I don't do is complain. I love being here because it means my son is still safe.

1 comment: