Click on the "Follow" link to keep up with this blog!

Friday, June 11, 2010

The Miracle Baby

(Week 24, Day 3)
  I don't even really know where to begin. I will start with the facts as I try to gather my thoughts. I thought taking last night would help with that, but I guess the only cure for this writer's block is to write and let it flow out. My son, Aiden Lucas Cohen was born on June 10, 2010 at 11:58 a.m. His official birth size was 1 lb 9 oz and 12.25 inches. He is currently in the NICU and while the nurses keep telling us he's sick, he is holding up better than any of them imagined he could. They are all calling him a miracle baby. There is a lot to still go through and we still have to take this each day, but we feel very good about where our son is right now. He will get better and come home to us.
  This is still very unreal to me. When I started this blog I fully expected to be discussing the slow but steady development of my son and wife (and of course myself, the Father of the Year) for about 8 months. Then life threw a Sandy Koufax curve ball at me. For the last 2 1/2 weeks I lived my life, albeit in a hospital room. I tried to continue blogging, continue interacting with friends and family and just continue living. However, all I could think about for those 18 days, every single minute of those 18 days, was that I wanted my son to live. I just wanted to see him in real life alive. Was that too much to ask? I didn't think it was a selfish or unfair request. Now that he is alive, now that I got exactly what I asked God for, I can't stop thinking how happy I am. I cannot believe it. My son is here and he's alive. The nurse last night entered all of his data into a system and found that developmentally he is equivalent to a 28-week-old baby. Of course the first thing Tanisha says is, "I told you the conception date was off!" She admits however that it couldn't possibly be more than a week off. MAYBE even two, but certainly not a whole month. As big as she was, there was a reason for that. The 76th, 85th and 96th percentile numbers were more important than we realized. The conception argument was more relevant that we realized, but ultimately not important because when he was ready to come, he was coming and nothing could stop him.
  I love my son. I love my wife for being stronger than I could have ever been, stronger than I could have ever asked her to be and as perfectly strong as her son needed her to be. Sometimes I cry (like now for instance) when I think about it all. It's so far from over, but it could have been over a long time ago. It's not. He's alive. He's fighting like a Cohen man should. He's my boy. I love you Aiden. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going up to see my miracle baby.

1 comment:

  1. nicole miller fischerJune 12, 2010 at 12:39 AM

    Hi Josh,
    It's Nicole (Miller). My mom shared your blog with me. I am the mom to my own miracle baby--born at 26 weeks 4 days, weighing 1lb 7oz and 12 inches long. Even tinier than your little guy. Today, she's a healthy 9 month old. After 3 months in the NICU, we know how much of a roller coaster NICU life is. We just stayed positive and did kangaroo care as much as the nurses would let us (once he's stable you should ask about this) and we feel that we contributed to Gemma's success. It sounds like you have the right attitude--stay positive and let Aiden know you're there for him, as much as you can, as often as you can. And please keep me in mind if you ever want a fellow NICU parent of a miracle micro preemie baby to chat with. My email is nm.fischer@hotmail, and my phone # is 971-506-6679. Our congratulations to you and your wife on the birth of your amazing son. He will be strong and fight through this early arrival with the love and strength you two provide.

    ReplyDelete